Complex Decongestive Therapy Training Course
Treating all grades of Lymphoedema and Lipoedema
(C.D.T.) may be practiced as a single modality in your private clinic, mobile or incorporated with your professional/personal skills in hospital or nursing home environment, palliative care, physiotherapy, occupational therapy and home.
Complex Decongestive Therapy post graduate course:
The Lymphoedema Academy of Australia Pty Ltd is offering approx 150 hours of education and training with prior learning in Anatomy and Physiology or similar.
Home studies are required to be completed and sent to the L.A.A. no later than 2 weeks before commencement of class. 5 face to face intense practical days (Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm), including basic and advanced compression bandaging, drainage techniques for reducing fluid retention superficially over the whole body, theory and practical assessment. On completion of course you will receive certificate of accreditation with the Lymphoedema Academy of Australia Pty Ltd as a "Practitioner of Lymphoedema".
Complex Decongestive Therapy: The 4 main components are:
- Skin Care ( conditioning the skin helps prevent dryness & infections)
- Lymphatic drainage (promotes lymph flow, reducing limb size)
- Compression; bandaging or substitute wraps (It increases the effectiveness of the muscle pump mechanism)
In some cases a medical compression support stocking is required on a regular basis.
- Exercise/nutrition, to stimulate the lymphatic system & eating healthy.
Lymphoedema Practitioners Register:
Students will be eligible to be on the L.A.A. Practitioners Register (for no added cost), under the section of "Find A Practitioner" on the L.A.A. Pty Ltd website, at the discretion of the Directors of the L.A.A. Pty Ltd.
There is more than ONE Lymphoedema Practitioners register in Australia. You need to have done your course with the appropriate training company to be on their register.
To be on the Lymphoedema Academy of Australia Practioners Register, you need to be accredited by completing the All Grades Lymphoedema and Lipoedema (Complex Decongestive Therapy) course run by the Lymphoedema Academy of Australia Pty Ltd.
(The Lymphoedema Academy of Australia supports a not for profit association called "The Lymphoedema & Obesity Support Association of Australia inc" The not for profit association was started with the goal to raise funding to help benefit students and their clients who need financial help, bandaging and garment support. The association is also applying for grants to run Seminars/Workshops in the community to raise Lymphoedema awareness. Their website is www.lymphoedemaobesitysupportaustralia.com.au)
Education for self-care management
Education for self-care management is essential for maintaining a lymphoedema limb.
- The Academy is aiming to promote lymphoedema and lipoedema awareness in the communities.
- To give students the knowledge and understanding they need to reduce swelling in their clients limb.
- Provide support, information and guidance for your clients to manage their lymphoedema at home with a personalized strategy plan.
- Learn to assess issues presented by the client/patient, their medical history, consulting Health Practitioners when needed and providing a professional clinical practice.
- Education is given on measuring a swollen limb, lymphatic drainage sequence, professional compression bandaging and also the appropriate knowledge by leading medical compression companies on supplying and fitting medical support stockings.